So, what does it mean to be a “Gentleman”?
In 2020 what does it really mean to be a Gentleman? In the Gentleman’s Code, we will explore the very heart and nature of The Gentleman, throughout the ages and to this very day. There are many interpretations of what a Gentleman is, some may think he is just a well-dressed nice guy, so we have compiled a list of virtues that set the Gentleman apart from his peers.
Being a man is a matter of genetics, being a gentleman is a matter of choice.
10 Virtues of a Gentleman: and there are many more
- Justice: A Gentleman is Just, Moral, he does not take advantage of the weak or vulnerable, women, children and other men will feel safe around a real Gentleman. A Gentleman should not side with the oppressor over the oppressed and should defend freedoms and equality.
- Courage: A Gentleman will face danger, and will put himself between danger and yourself. He will look at his own character, face his demons and improve himself, the path of a real Gentleman requires both Selflessness and fearlessness.
- Benevolence or Mercy: A Gentleman does not ignore the homeless, they are somehow included in his way of life, even if that is as little as making eye contact with those begging, a nod of acknowledgement that they exist. To smile and say ‘sorry no cash’, is how the Gentleman with no cash will pass the beggar, to just step past the beggar without any interaction is to lack mercy and empathy, this gentleness, if possessed by the wildest cage-fighter, would qualify him as a Gentleman.
- Politeness: A gentleman is well-mannered, and can effortlessly navigate social and professional settings with confidence and proficiency. He stays abreast of current etiquette guidelines and uses social acumen to navigate shifting norms. As a result, he is as comfortable at a casual gathering with friends as he is in the boardroom. He returns his shopping cart, says “please” and “thank you,” holds doors open for others, tips generously, and smiles often.
- Honesty & Humility: A Gentleman lives by what is true and real. His words are not many, but they are true, he is ready to learn and gain instruction, being studious (a student at heart) a Gentleman is teachable, trainable, and the best will pay attention to details.
- Honour: A gentleman does the right thing even when no one is watching. He is a man of his word and is not swayed by peer pressure or popular opinion. The man he is at work is the same person you will encounter in the community and at his home.
- Loyalty: A Gentleman remains true and steadfast in the absence of others, he is someone you can depend on, someone you can trust, he will remain loyal in season and out of season, through thick and thin, as much as he is able.
- Character and Self-Control: A gentleman maintains a teachable posture and actively seeks new challenges. His intellectual curiosity propels him to constantly better himself and his craft through reading, coaching, ongoing education, and time spent with mentors. He turns off the T.V. and silences his phone to make time for this investment. He is emotionally mature, mentally sharp, informed, and not ashamed to ask for help.
- Healthy: A Gentleman looks after his body, eats healthily, gets ample sleep, and is hygienic, he will not assault your nostrils with toxic breath or Bodily odours of mass destruction, instead he has a hint of cologne. Well dressed in clean clothes, but usually no designer labels.
- Fends for Himself: A Gentleman can cook, clean and iron his own clothes, keep his surroundings tidy, and will usually have a trade of some kind under his belt, If a Gentleman requires help, he will repay his debts.
Life does throw many difficult circumstances and situations at us, the Gentleman’s code is a closer look at how a Gentleman would or should handle life’s journey. Yes, this also includes the Bedroom etiquette of a Gentleman (after all, ladies love that a nice guy finishes last in the bedroom). So get ready for the Gentleman’s Code.